Iris rhizomes are available for sale at Lendonwood Gardens as a fundraiser for the botanical garden in Grove. Cost of each bulb is $1.00, with proceeds going toward maintenance of the Gardens. A variety of cultivars and colors is available in the Lendonwood plant sale area, just behind the Oklahoma Garden. See News Update.
Click on photo to enlarge.
Come stroll through Lendonwood Gardens, a six-acre botanical garden near Grand Lake in northeastern Oklahoma. Grassy pathways meander through more than 1,200 different types of plants, including the largest collection of rhododendrons in the Southwest, 500 varieties of daylilies, and 25 varieties of dogwoods. Come see a constantly changing panorama of color and texture . . . at Lendonwood Gardens
Visitors will find several major collections of plants. Lendonwood is home to one of the largest collections of false cypress (Chamaecyparis) trees in the United States, totaling more than 80 varieties. Similar to red cedar, the evergreen false cypress is native to Japan, Taiwan, Canada and the U.S. Lendonwood has one of the largest collections of rhododendrons in the region, totaling about 250 varieties, adding drama and color in April and May.
The Gardens include 25 varieties of dogwoods, 75 varieties of Japanese maples, 125 varieties of hostas, 200 varieties of conifers, and 25 varieties of viburnums. With more than 500 varieties of daylilies, Lendonwood has been designated a display garden for the American Hemerocallis (daylily) Society.
Highlights of the Gardens
Lendonwood features six distinct gardens, each with a theme and atmosphere all its own.
- Display Garden near the entrance.
- Oriental Garden featuring shade plants.
- Japanese Pavilion Garden with Koi Pond.
- English Terrace Garden highlighting sunny beds and rhododendrons.
- American Backyard Garden, where plants thrive without much water.
- Angel of Hope Garden, surrounding a statue of an angel, in memory of lost loved ones, especially children.
- Azalea Garden, which in April is abloom with colors ranging from pink to lavender to red to white.